Wednesday, September 23, 2015

What to expect at your Newborn Session

Newborn sessions are by far some of my favorite sessions.  I think it might be because I don't have to act like a crazy person behind the camera in order to get everyone to look at me and smile.  Or maybe it's because I get to cuddle with the adorable newborns.  Either way, they are so much fun for me!

As a mom of a new baby, there are so many things that you are trying to get used to.  There's lots of stress, hundreds of questions, and almost no sleep.  So, when it comes to the photography session with your precious little bundle, I want to be able to take all that additional stress away that you may feel not knowing what to expect during your shoot.



 With a new baby, everything is new! It takes time to get into a rhythm with your little angel, and predicting when nap time will happen is generally difficult. However, if you can manage to have baby fed and changed before the shoot, this will increase chances of sleep! If you have any outfits or props you would like to include, please have them available and I will try to work them into your session.



Do what you can to keep your little one awake as much as possible a couple of hours before your session. This will hopefully insure that your little bundle will be super sleepy and posable during your session. 

Please dress your little cutie in comfortable, loose clothing that is easily removed. Also, do not diaper too tightly to reduce the possibility of red marks on baby’s skin.   



 The golden rule of newborn photography: babies are unpredictable! At just a few days old, a regular feeding, sleeping and potty schedule is out of the question. I understand this, and as a result recommend at least 3 hours be blocked out for your newborn session. Although I do have  my bag of tricks to make the process efficient and fun for everyone, it really all comes down to how baby is feeling.




When I come to your home for your session, the best room to use is usually the one with the most light. This could be the living room, the master  bedroom, or sometimes even the kitchen! Don’t worry, you won’t see the dishwasher in any of  your final images.




Here are a few more things to be prepared for:
-  Babies like to be warm, and I usually have a space heater running the entire session. (My rule of thumb: if I’m not sweating, it’s probably not warm enough for your baby.)

-  I find that the quieter the room, the better the session. Loud noises can startle and awaken your sleeping baby (but, you already know that).

-  I usually get pooped on, peed on, and/or spit-up on at least once each session, so don’t feel bad when it happens at yours.

-  Most importantly, relax and enjoy this special time as we capture some beautiful images of your precious little one.





Within a day of your session I will post a sneak peak to my Facebook page. Keep a look out for it!


It can take me up to 2 weeks to edit and perfect all the photos from your session.  I know you will be anxious to see all the photos, but newborn editing takes time. 


Of course, if you have any questions at all about your session, don't hesitate to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment